Celebrating 20 years of regional economic development. The Institute’s mission is to be the innovative leader of economic renewal and growth serving enterprising people and businesses in the region.
The Institute for Entrepreneurial Excellence at the University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business helps entrepreneurial business leaders harness the power of innovation, collaboration, and knowledge to increase profit margins, create jobs, diversify revenue streams, connect to emerging markets, and secure new research and development dollars. We take pride in knowing that, collectively, the people we serve fuel southwestern Pennsylvania’s resurgent economy.
Our approach features a dynamic mix of programs and services, including:
- Monthly workshops and special seminars for entrepreneurs interested in starting a new business or making their existing business more profitable
- Customized consulting to help emerging leaders and seasoned professionals leverage strengths and overcome challenges related to financing, information technology, marketing, succession planning, and governance
- Special initiatives to promote the revitalization of Pittsburgh’s economy by supporting urban pioneers who run businesses in inner city neighborhoods
- Educational programs* featuring internationally-known experts who share cutting-edge information about new trends, practices and innovative models that can be immediately applied in pursuit of business goals such as improving sales performance, launching new products, or attracting and retaining good workers
- Professionally-led peer forums* that meet in an environment of confidentiality to explore business, family, and personal aspects of operating a business
- Social events* to promote networking among entrepreneurs
We consider it a great privilege and an honor to support businesses at every stage of development, and are grateful for the generous financial support we receive from individuals, families, companies, and foundations committed to making this region a great place for entrepreneurs.
The Institute is marking its 20th anniversary in 2013.
Over the last 20 years the
Institute has provided advocacy networks, custom consulting and educational
programs services to more than 15,000 closely held businesses.
- Supported the
creation of over 800 start-up companies
- 7,000 jobs impacted
in the region
- $300 million in
new funding obtained for client company growth
- $245 million in increased
revenue reported by client companies
- Developed and
delivered more than 1,400 educational programs attended by 40,000+ business
* Available through the Institute’s membership program.